Monday 13 April 2009

Day 3 - Gibralter













We decided to go to Gibralter for the afternoon as we felt there was too much to see and do for a quick morning trip before heading over to Morocco. This was our worst weather day because it was hazy and the views weren't as good as normal. I know, cry me a river, it was still sunny and perfect in the low 70's. The drive to Gibralter we made two more times and we could see it as we drove down the coast. I wish I had been able to stop and get a better picture. I'm really thankful we did Gibralter as its own day because we spent more time looking around than I thought we would. We parked in Spain and then walked across the runway. That is kind of interesting. They open and close the walkway/street between landing planes so you've got to keep moving across the runway! We depended on public transportation which sometimes drives me crazy as it slows us down having to wait for a particular bus. Being a completely different country we got to go to McDonald's for lunch so Jeff could add to his country count (lucky us!). After lunch we planned to take the cable car to the top of the rock and see the view and the monkeys everyone talks about. Unfortunately we got all the way there and then found out the cable car was not running that day. We thought about going to the fortress or the wartime caves but decided to just head over to the beach on the sheer cliff side of the rock. It was a gorgeous little cove. The problem was that we had planned to drive to one of the beaches on the way home so the swim suits were in the car. So when in Spain....we stripped the boys to their undies and no one cared a bit! I kept my clothes on, and I had a nice cup of tea at a beachside cafe while the big boys played on the beach. The boys enjoyed this more than the fortress anyway. It was a relaxing afternoon for us all but ended too quickly when the sun went behind the enormous rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment