Sunday 16 August 2009

Horse Trekking in Wales










It always amazes me that every new place I visit quickly becomes my new favorite. People that just have moved here ask me where to go and what to see all the time. I never know what to tell them! Well, this past weekend was Wales with the girls. It was FABULOUS! The OCSC put on this little shin dig and 8 women went. We loaded up in a van with our trusty driver/guide Dave and headed out to northern Wales. We had magnificient weather which was apparently unheard of for 3 consecutive days. I was nervous about going on this trip and leaving Colton at home with daddy. Not so much for Colton as I knew he would survive it, but for Jeff's sanity. It was well worth it to have the break from life to relax and share some fun evenings with friends. You know it is a good weekend when you have to restock the wine supply half way through the trip!












So we arrived in Betsw-y-coed on Friday evening and enjoyed a stroll through town and dinner at a pub.










After dinner we headed to our cottage in the mountains. Our cottage was actually a royal navy bunkhouse and it was camping by my standards. If you need sleeping bags it is camping! Plus, we had to share a bathroom, again, camping in my book! All eight of us were able to get into one bunkroom. This was good as apparently our cottage was haunted by pegleg!














The next morning after a full English breakfast at a little local place we headed back into Betsw-y-coed for a bit of retail therapy. Had a blast at all the cute shops and, of course, Kathy Higgins and I had to stop for tea and scones. Found some great tins with Welsh writing on the side. Added a couple to my collection of things I don't need but unique things I love!









Then it was onto our first two hours of horseback riding. The ride was beautiful and my horse Remy gave me a great ride! He was a big boy at 16 1/2 hands. We rode along the tops of some ridges with great views. By about half way through the ride I was ready to be done quite honestly. I forgot how painful riding can quickly become.






















A group of exhausted gals showed up at the tin-y-coed for dinner. This is one of the most famous pubs in the region and I was introduced to my first pint of pear cider, my new favorite. We had a delicious dinner, best lamb I've ever had. Then back to the cottage for another fun filled evening of girl talk.






















The next morning we again enjoyed french pressed coffee in our camping kitchen and then onto a full English again. Our ride today was a bit different, more on the sides of the mountains, moss covered trails, lots of little waterfalls embedded in the rock. I didn't take my camera as it seemed like it might rain on us. It ended up misting slightly for about five minutes so wishing I had taken my camera after all. I got Remy again to ride. We were able to actually do a bit of faster riding which I enjoyed. Then it was back on the bus to find a pub for lunch and a quick stop at Starbucks! Got the Wales mug! I was happy to get home to my bed and motrin! And there were three boys delighted to see their mom when I got home. I was equally as delighted despite the fun time.

No comments:

Post a Comment